- Valentine, Joseph L. - President of Hamilton Railway. (Illinois PUC, 1915, p 1310)
- Van den Berg, Y. - President of Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad. (Pocket List 1907, p 219)
- Van Dyke, George - President of Upper Coos Railroad. (Official List 1888, p 189)
- Van Horne, William Cornelius (1843-1915) - President of Canadian Pacific Railway __-1899. Chairman of the board of Canadian Pacific Railway. President of International Railroad; youngest superintendent of Illinois Central Railroad. (Official List 1888, p 99; Pocket List 1907, p 233)
- Van Natta, John E. - President of Chicago, Fox Lake & Lake Geneva Railroad. (Illinois PUC, 1915, p 1303)
- Van Riper, J. C. - President of Apalachicola Northern Railroad. President of Alton & Jacksonville Railroad. (Pocket List 1907, p 191; Illinois PUC, 1915, p 1247)
- Van Santvoord, A. - President of Catskill Mountain Railroad. (Official List 1888, p 31)
- Van Sweringen, Mantis James (1881-1935) and Van Sweringen, Oris Paxton (1879-1936) - Together developed and inaugurated the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit company in 1906, and purchased a controlling interest in the Nickel Plate Road in 1915. By 1928 the two brothers controlled over 30,000 miles of railroad including the Erie, Pere Marquette, Hocking Valley and Chesapeake & Ohio railroads.
- Van Wyck, P. V. R. - President of Council City & Solomon River Railway. (Pocket List 1907, p 297)
- Vance, John - President of Eel River & Eureka Railroad. (Official List 1888, p 77)
- Vanderbilt, Cornelius (1794-1877) - Financier who created the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad through the merger of several smaller New York area railroads.
- Vanderbilt, Cornelius, II (1843-1899) - President of New York Central Railroad; president of Michigan Central Railroad. (Official List 1888, pp 119 and 137)
- Vanderbilt, Harold Stirling (1884-1970) - President of New York Central Railroad.
- Vanderbilt, William H. (1821-1885) - President of New York Central & Hudson River Railroad 1877-__; president of Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway; president of Canada Southern Railway; president of Michigan Central Railroad __-1883, succeeded by Henry Brockholst Ledyard.
- Vanderbilt, William Kissam (1849-1920) - President of New York Central Railroad __-1903.
- Vaughan, Frederic Willis (born 1844) - President of Louisville Bridge & Iron Company 1879-; consulting engineer for Louisville & Nashville Railroad 1883-__.
- Vaughan, Paul - Chief Engineer of Diesel Engine Design for ALCO.
- Veitch, Bill A. (1870-1961) - New Zealand Minister of Railways 1930-1931.
- Verma, A. K. - General manager of Indian Railways' South Eastern Railway zone.
- Victor, Jacob Nash (1835-1907) - Oversaw construction of the California Southern Railroad from San Diego through Cajon Pass to Barstow, California.
- Villard, Henry (1835-1900) - President of Northern Pacific Railway 1881-1884.
- Volpe, John A. (1908-1994) - U.S. Secretary of Transportation 1969-1973 [preceded by Alan Stephenson Boyd; succeeded by Claude S. Brinegar].
- Von Gerstner, Franz Anton Ritter (1796-1840) - Austrian railway engineer.
- Von Ghega, Carl Ritter (1802-1860) - Designer of the Semmeringbahn in Germany.
- Von Hagen, Hugo - President of Beersville Coal & Railway Company. (Pocket List 1907, p 217)
- Von Meck, Nikolai (1863-1929) - Appointed in charge of Moscow-Kazan railway in 1891.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt - Cropped from a scan of the original photograph (original publication date unknown) available as part of the Bain Collection on the Library of Congress website. The image description page for this photograph asserts that there are "no known restrictions on publication." Because this photograph was made before 1900 it is my understanding that this is now in the public domain.
Bookmark/Search this post with: